You may think you know all about shackles, but do you really? We pulled a fun fact list together about our shackles to see how much you truly understand about these handy pieces of equipment. Check off which ones you knew, which ones you didn’t, and let us know in the comments below!
- All sizes of shackles are Quenched and Tempered for maximum strength.
- Forged alloy steel from 30 through 300 metric tons.
- Cast alloy steel from 400 through 1,000 metric tons.
- Sizes 300 tons and smaller are proof tested to 2 times the Working Load Limit.
- Sizes 400 tons and larger are tested to 1.33 times the Working Load Limit.
- All ratings are in metric tons, embossed on the side of the bow.
- Bows and pins are furnished Dimetcoted. All pins are Dimetcoted then painted red.
- They greatly improve the wearability of wire rope slings.
- They can be used to connect HIGH STRENGTH Synthetic Web Slings, HIGH STRENGTH Synthetic Round Slings or Wire Rope Slings.
- Increase in shackle bow radius provides minimum 58% gain in sling bearing surface and eliminates need for a thimble.
- Increase useable sling strength minimum of 15%.
- Pin is non-rotating, with weld on handles for easier use (300t and larger).
- All 2160 shackles are individually proof-tested and magnetic particle inspected. Crosby certification available at the time of order.
- Crosby products meet or exceed all the requirements of ASME B30.26 including identification, ductility, design factor, proof load, and temperature requirements. Most importantly, Crosby products meet other critical performance requirements including fatigue life, impact properties, and material traceability, not addressed by ASME B30.26.
- Shackles requiring ABS, DNV, Lloyds, and other certifications are available upon special request and mist be specified by time of order.
- Shackles are produced in accordance with certified lifting appliance requirements.
- Non-Destructive Testing.
- Serialization / Identification.
- Material Testing (Physical/Chemical/Charpy).
- Proof Testing.
Know of any fun facts about shackles? Any cool applications in which they were used? Let us know below.
To get more information or to obtain a Quick Quote, please visit our Shackles product page: http://lgh-usa.com/product/shackles/.
Get in touch with your representative today at (800) 878-7305 or email LGH at email@example.com.
Additional reporting by:
Crosby Group. “Shackles.” www.kwrs.com, 2008, www.kwrs.com/wp-content/uploads/pdf/
shackles.pdf?iframe=true&width=800&height=600. Accessed 31 Mar. 2017.